What Happens When We Laugh
Laughter may not cure everything that ails you, but it can improve your health. Mental Health America (MHA) shared the following thoughts about humor as it relates to mental health. Finding humor in the circumstances of life can lift our moods and help us better cope with and overcome difficult experiences. What happens when we laugh?
- Levels of stress hormones decrease.
- The heart, lungs and muscles are stimulated.
- There is increased activity in parts of the brain’s reward system.
- The mood improves and anxiety eases.
- People experience less job burnout.
- Our immune system is strengthened.
- We experience better interactions with others.
It also has been shown that humor and laughter reduce the risk of developing chronic health conditions such as blood clots, heart conditions, and other stress-related diseases.
Some life circumstances require professional help and when that’s the case, you can reach out to Lakeview Center at 850.469.3500. Read about our variety of programs and services at eLakeviewCenter.org.