Domestic Violence Awareness Month 2021
Pensacola, Fla. (October 1, 2021) – According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), domestic violence impacts more than 10 million people each year. That number is on track to increase which is why we need the community’s help to prevent and report domestic violence.
Facts about domestic violence:
- Studies show that children who experience childhood domestic violence are at increased risk for a broad range of long-term challenges.
- Ninety-four to 99% of domestic violence survivors have also experienced economic abuse.
- Domestic violence happens to adults, children and the elderly.
Helpful resources are available. Mental health experts can provide counseling for trauma as well as safe exit plans for victims. The following resources are available:
- Lakeview Center Victim Services 24-hour helpline 850.433.7273 (safety plan experts)
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 800.799.7233
- Abuse Reporting Hotline 800.962.2873
- National Sexual Assault Hotline 800.656.4673
- FavorHouse Northwest Florida Outreach 850.434.1177 (safety plan experts, counseling, prevention, and economic justice programs)
- FavorHouse Crisis Line 850.434.6600. (24-hour line and shelter services)